[openstack-hpc] NUMA config

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 14:33:31 UTC 2015

On 29 April 2015 at 18:50, Pradeep Kiruvale <pradeepkiruvale at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it creates 2 Virtual NUMA nodes on one single Physical NUMA node
> If you see below cpu 0-1 are in one NUMA node and 2-3 are in the other.
> This is what I can understand from the xml.
>
>  <numa>
>    <cell id='0' cpus='0-1' memory='524288'/>
>    <cell id='1' cpus='2-3' memory='524288'/>
>  </numa>

Yeah, but that doesn't seem to be consistent with this from the same section:
"nova flavor-key m1.numa set hw:numa_nodes=1"
According to the spec
(http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/juno/implemented/virt-driver-numa-placement.html):
hw:numa_nodes=NN - numa of NUMA nodes to expose to the guest.
Not to mention the numatune config that binds the guest nodes to host nodes.

An aside: Does anyone else find it strange that all these options are
designed to be flavor and/or image extra specs rather than providing a
mechanism to set them on instance boot (e.g. hints). I think the
relationship between flavors or images and such tunables is tenuous at
best, why should I need multiple versions of what is otherwise the
same image or flavor in order to ask for e.g. CPU pinning or Qemu
guest agent, these are per instance tunables.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo