[openstack-hpc] Questions about porting StarCluster to OpenStack

Eric.Christensen at sanofi.com Eric.Christensen at sanofi.com
Fri Apr 18 23:14:43 UTC 2014

Two good questions.... my take:

> Do you think this is something that would be useful to your users?

Probably. Though we have a pretty mature federated HPC environment with cloud-bursting capabilities which meets the needs of most of our internal users. We do run into situations where we need to stand up a "standalone" environment for a specific project or a short term research workflow. Being able to use Starcluster to deploy on an internal Openstack based private cloud "quick and dirty" would be handy.

> To enable full functionality in the Horizon dashboard the dashboard app needs access to a private key to access the running (virtual) cluster nodes as root.....

This one is more of a challenge in my mind. Is full Horizon dashboard support worthwhile? Heck yes! Especially in an environment like ours where the users tend to be chemists and biologists, not computer scientists, having a web frontend for provisioning is extremely useful. And, like Jon, our horizon node is pretty well protected and I'm not too concerned caching keys. I'd be less enthused in a public cloud, but within the constraints of a properly implemented and secured private OpenStack implementation I don't see it as a show stopper at all.

--------
Eric D Christensen
R&D IS - Infrastructure and High Performance Computing
Sanofi Tucson Innovation Center

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle