[openstack-hpc] Looking for practical Openstack + Ceph guidance for shared HPC

Andrew J Younge ajyounge at indiana.edu
Fri Jul 26 19:56:01 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

Alright I'm going to jump in on this conversation. First I want to say
this is a great discussion, and I'm excited to see others as interested
in HPC and Openstack as I am.  The questions raised regarding the
state-of-art in OpenStack related to high performance capabilities are
spot-on and I have no doubt many people on this list are working hard to
address them today.

Now, I'd actually like to vote against the thought of shoehorning
OpenStack into a typical HPC environment, as suggested in Josh's last
email. As alluded to, doing so would be impractical when considering HPC
scheduling, job reservation times etc, however it would be a downright
nightmare for supporting the software stack necessary for running a
cloud environment. I'd be impressed to find a single HPC system
administrator who'd allow you to install a type1 or even type2
hypervisor in a traditional compute node, let alone the proper higher
order APIs and software packages necessary to make it a reality. This is
where Cloud Iaas solutions provide a true advantage when running
scientific applications over conventional HPC offerings - users have the
freedom to design their environment as they see fit within a VM, a
luxury that's continually a limitation within normal HPC offerings
today.  There have been many efforts over the years to layer
higher-order solutions atop traditional HPC and cluster LRMS solutions,
many of which were great but have lost a lot of traction in recent
years. I'll simply just reference the term Grid Computing and say little
more on the subject.

I would strongly argue that bridging the gap between HPC and IaaS should
(must?) be accomplished by providing HPC oriented tools, services, and
hardware within a user-centric IaaS solution like OpenStack, rather than
the other way around. The effort necessary to bring HPC in a Cloud IaaS
is much more tractable  this way, as the mechanisms, the capabilities,
and recently the interest are all possible. Actually this is a core
concept of my tentative phd dissertation. There will always be an added
overhead with using virtualization technologies inherent within Cloud
IaaS, however the total overhead is continually decreasing and
capabilities are ever increasing, making IaaS a potential solution for
many mid-tier scientific research projects for the first time.

Regarding Ceph in OpenStack, I do think there is an effort for providing
Ceph within OpenStack already
http://ceph.com/docs/next/rbd/rbd-openstack/.  Please note though that
this is distributed block storage for booting and running VMs in
OpenStack, and not distributed shared block storage within a VM itself.
 Ideally, it would be great to have a many to 1 relationship with VMs
and volumes (Cinder, nova-volume, EBS), representing a distributed
shared storage among many running VMs simultaneously.   There is a new
blueprint for this now
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/read-only-volumes however
this is using read-only volumes. My eye is focused on a solution
currently revolving around Lustre, but there's no theoretical reason
similar work couldn't be done or isn't already completed using Ceph.

For scheduling in OpenStack, this seems like a rather large problem with
many potential solutions. If the HPC community has taught us anything
about scheduling, its that its an NP-complete problem with an unlimited
number of potential solutions. There was an original proposal for a
proximity based scheduler
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ProximityScheduler but this is just 1
theoretical opportunity of many. I'd be ecstatic to get involved in a
community effort to push for high performance scheduling in OpenStack
using whatever mechanisms people collectively see fit.

I've hinted at many different things here, so let me know if you'd like
to discuss anything in more detail. Also, if you want more information
on a solution for GPUs and/or InfiniBand in OpenStack as alluded to by
Brian and Nerayan, just let me know.  I may have one.

Regards,

Andrew

P.S. Is anybody planning on attending the next OpenStack summit and want
to participate in a discussion on some of these topics?
http://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-summit-hong-kong-2013/become-a-speaker/
The speaker proposal deadline is in 5 days I believe...

On 7/26/13 12:42 PM, Joshua Dotson wrote:
> All,
>
> Thanks for the great responses.  I'm finding this discussion very
> enlightening.  I have some mostly idle and uninformed musings about HPC
> node scheduling at the nova-scheduler level:
>
> Efficient handling of typical IaaS loads is much different from what I
> suppose one might call HPCaaS loads.  For example, a typical IaaS
> instances is expected to be sometimes idle, awaiting clients and work,
> unless developers really tune their SaaS application stacks, if that's
> what your cloud is running.  A good bit of virtualization is
> rarely-elastic "infrastructure", things like OwnCloud or a mirrors
> server.  These tasks usually benefit from sharing a physical node.
>
> Beyond that, a lot of SaaS developers (who run on IaaS) stress the
> horizontal scaling before any large vertical scaling, because resiliency
> (especially geo-replication) and cost are very important there.  Though
> there are definitely limits, instance granularity (smaller instances)
> and more horizontal than vertical footprints, for SaaS and PaaS stacks
> running in clouds which themselves have a horizontal footprint, are
> industry standard methods of achieving SLAs.
>
> I seldom hear of HPC jobs having such performance profiles, because
> performance, not resiliency, comes first.  What you end up with is
> nova-scheduler being tuned out-of-the box to over commit on I/O, memory,
> disk and CPU and having little or no motive to change course to honor
> things like pre-planning the number of hours instances will run, unlike
> HPC resource schedulers -- unless I'm severely mistaken.  The API itself
> would need extending to do that, which maybe isn't altogether impossible
> to bring about.
>
> Thus, my experience has been that cloud-centric load balancing is
> essentially sacrilegious to a lot of HPC (and also, importantly, "Big
> Data" -- if for throughput over resiliency/storage) tasks.  Along these
> lines, in my view, local-to-node disk space, physical or otherwise, has
> little place in HPC, at scale (e.g. swap off).  I'd really like to see
> things like CephFS be battle hardened enough to move us forward toward
> unified storage, of the cloud API variety, which can service HPC-level
> throughput.  HPC jobs which are I/O, memory and/or CPU bound might find
> themselves benefiting from over committing, but only because backfilling
> with the opposite variet(ies) of bounding could make sense in such cases
> -- and only then if we're comfortable guessing that the job in question
> isn't going to shift gears and start chomping on memory, etc...
>
> So then, it's almost as if we need to put pop-up Openstack environments
> into an old school PBS or LSF, rather than put HPC(s) into an Openstack
> cloud.  I guess what I'm saying is, maybe it would be easier to have a
> "job script" which bootstraps an single-tenant(?) Openstack environment
> at job run time, for those who need IaaS.  But no, for many reasons, not
> [...]

Andrew J. Younge
Pervasive Tech Institute   /  School of Informatics & Computing
Indiana University        /  Bloomington, IN USA
ajyounge at indiana.edu     /  http://ajyounge.com