[OpenStack-docs] Where does pdflatex see 'os-doc-demo.tex'?

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Sat May 27 03:28:29 UTC 2017

Anne Gentle wrote on 5/27/2017 6:55 AM:

> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Anne Gentle
> <annegentle at justwriteclick.com <mailto:annegentle at justwriteclick.com>>
> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Ian Y. Choi <ianyrchoi at gmail.com
>     <mailto:ianyrchoi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hello Anne,
>
>         I think you want to generate a PDF for "os-doc-demo" which is
>         in openstackdocstheme :)
>

>     You got it!
>

>         In my opinion, the problem is that pdflatex command cannot be
>         found when
>         make command is being executed, since the error message looks
>         that pdflatex command
>         cannot be found, not os-doc-demo.tex command cannot be found.
>
>         1. Please check whether os-doc-demo.tex file exists or not in
>         doc/build/pdf folder. It should exist after executing sphinx-build
>         :
>         http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstackdocstheme/tree/tox.ini#n28
>         <http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstackdocstheme/tree/tox.ini#n28>
>

>     Yep, I see os-doc-demo.tex in the doc/build/pdf folder.
>

>         2. Would you let me know where pdflatex command locates in
>         your mac environment?
>         Building PDFs on Mac environment was fine when I tested with
>         mactex package
>         directly downloaded from https://www.tug.org/mactex/ .
>

>     Hm, must be a symlink problem. What does this mean exactly?
>
>     $ ls -la
>     /Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/texbin/pdflatex
>
>     lrwxr-xr-x  1 agentle  wheel  6 May 25 14:47
>     /Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/texbin/pdflatex
>     -> pdftex
>

> Hi again all - Had a chance to look into this further with Doug
> Hellman, thanks Doug, and we concluded there's no way to get mactex
> working using the homebrew package manager. Working on installing with
> the direct download from https://www.tug.org/mactex/ and that should work.

Aha I see - thanks a lot, Doug Hellmann and Anne!

I asked you a path location since there are some security issues
regarding installation path on some package after El Capitan AFAIK.
I wanted to run on my new MacBook environment today but now I do not
have to install such homebrew package to test it :)

With many thanks,

/Ian