[OpenStack-docs] [User Guides] Update After OSIC

Joe Robinson joseph.r.email at gmail.com
Fri May 5 07:59:08 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone,

I've delayed sending out a User Guides update, but also have been
sidetracked by other work related issues after the OSIC project closed
down. Apologies for the slow response here.

I would like to continue looking out for content in, and editing, the User
and Admin guides. This depends on my time commitments moving forward.

The User Guides have seen a lot of good activity in the past cycles. It's a
docs project where contributors can jump in and out, making changes as they
see areas to improve, without needing too much of a formal team roster. Now
is a good moment to say thank you, to everyone for their hard work keeping
these manuals relevant and useful for users and admins.

 So even without a speciality team, I predict updates and changes can
slowly continue.

It also depends on discussions after the summit forums.

Anyway, the key points here:

1. The next task for the User Guide Pike goals is to set up a Cookie Cutter
for the User Guides, following on from the Install Guide and Deployment
guide tools for developers (As documented in the contributor guide).

The challenge with this task, moving forward, is availability of
contributors to put the cookie cutter together. This is combined with the
departure of several project docs liaisons, and my reduced time capacity to
check on progress. As a result, the overarching process of migrating the
Administrator Guide content into the developer repositories will slow down.

2. To assist with the migration, I created a tracking table
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Migrate_Administrator_Guide>
to manage the progress of moving files. The next step is to make a
blueprint. I am still able to update the table, and will hopefully be able
to have an inventory or list of all the files to move soon.

3. Some good news - a few patches in the past few weeks have addressed one
of the User Guide Pike sub goals - to check, clean up, and update the
content of the guide for each services. Pending my time commitments, I'm
going to continue to edit through the sections (time commitments, again,
sorry), following the contributor guide.

That's all for now. The complete Pike Task list is up on the User Guide
Task List
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/ReorganizeUserGuides#Pike_Tasks>
 page.

--