[OpenStack-docs] Ops Guide and Arch Design Guide update

dc dazzachan at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 4 12:40:50 UTC 2017

An update on the Ops Guide and Arch Design Guide:

_Arch Design Guide_

Ben Silverman, Yi Leong Sun, and I have been meeting up biweekly to
discuss progress of the Arch Guide and allocate tasks. For Pike, we have
reviewed the guide in more detail and made some broad changes to the
ToC, cleaned up the index page, and moved some ops-related content back
to the Ops Guide. I will update the Pike spec [1] to more accurately
reflect these changes.

The current priority is to complete writing the Design chapter, and so
far we have completed Compute Design section, and currently revising the
Storage Design section and the Network Design section. We have been
using the arch-guide etherpad [2] to assign tasks and track our
progress. I have created bugs [3] for some of the tasks that need to be
completed, so volunteers are most welcome.

In regards to the Cloud Use Cases chapter, the plan is to develop a
template to apply to all cloud use cases, and to be aligned with the EWG
Reference Architectures that Leong has been working on. Ben and Leong
will work on this part of the guide in due course.

_Ops Guide_

For Pike, we removed the architecture section and migrated the relevant
content to the Arch Design Guide. It has been discussed for some time
that the guide needs a major overhaul with committed help from Ops. I
believe Alex has some plans in motion (?) to make this happen.

FYI, it's unlikely I will be working on OpenStack in my next job role.
Until then, Ben will be the point of contact for the Arch Design Guide,
and I will continue efforts (somewhat sporadically) on the guide and
general upstream contributions in my spare time. Please feel free to
contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Darren

[1]