[OpenStack-docs] Removing support for flagmappings

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed Mar 8 10:54:02 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-08 11:26, sfinucan at redhat.com wrote:
> The openstack-manuals [1] project contains a number of configuration
> guides, which are autogenerated using tooling found in the openstack-
> doc-tools [2] project.
>
> This tooling makes use of 'flagmapping' files [3], which map various
> config options to different categories. These files must be manually
> maintained, which doesn't appear to be happening for some projects
> (nova). Given the names of the files, I'm led to believe they are a
> hangover from the days before oslo.config where OpenStack used per-
> project "flags". Given that oslo.config provides not only opts but also
> groups, I don't see any reason to keep this functionality around.
>
> I've submitted some changes which will drop support for these
> flagmapping files [4][5] along with the flagmapping files themselves
> [6], and rely instead of the Opt.group property to categorize options.
> If anyone knows of a good reason to keep these features around, I'd ask
> that you comment on the review. If not, I'd appreciate support for
> stripping out these unnecessary features.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen
>
> [1] https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/
> [2] https://github.com/openstack/openstack-doc-tools
> [3] https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/tree/master/tools/au
> togenerate-config-flagmappings

I fear this is too early to do - it needs changes in other repos as well.

We use this grouping currently to have a table per hardware driver,
check for example all the cinder drivers. Looking at the cinder repo, a
grep "git grep OptGroup" does not return any line.

So, you approach might work for one project - but not others yet.

Another challenge is that the flagmappings also allow showing the same
option in multiple tables - like the san_ip option in cinder. How would
we handle that?

So, looking at your change, the approach seems to work for nova - but
with my comments above, I fear it will not work today for cinder. Note
that these are the only two repos I checked.

I'm happy to see us move to OptGroup once all obstacles are removed.

Thanks for looking into this!
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)