[OpenStack-docs] [openstack-docs] [launchpad] Filing bugs with troubleshooting issues

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Wed Jan 18 14:55:28 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

Over the last week I’ve had a lot of time to go through and triage some of our ever-growing bug list.

I know this is not a new issue, but we do have a considerably large number of bugs filed with troubleshooting issues and questions. Here is an example: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1657464

I have been doing my best to reply with either a solution to the problem, or a recommendation pointing the user to ask.openstack.org, IRC channels, or the mailing list.

I have proposed a small solution here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/421973/ that will hopefully point some future bug reporters in the right direction, but it is not overly visible.

I am just thinking out loud – but when you go to report a bug here https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+filebug is there a way we could include a checklist of sorts? Including a few quick questions like “Does your bug relate to OpenStack manuals content” and then further offering appropriate places to ask questions like ask.openstack.org.

This problem does not just affect OpenStack manuals, and there was a rumour in the mill that we were going to change from Launchpad anyway.

What does everyone think? Have we attempted this in the past? Is there a way we could actually help reporters before they file a bug that may never get solved?

Thanks,

Alex