[OpenStack-docs] Excited to contribute to the docs!

Amrith Kumar amrith.kumar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 14:41:40 UTC 2017

Welcome back Petra!

--

Amrith Kumar
amrith.kumar at gmail.com <mailto:amrith.kumar at gmail.com>

From: Petra Sargent [mailto:psargent at redhat.com]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 2:35 PM
To: Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com>
Cc: openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [OpenStack-docs] Excited to contribute to the docs!

Thanks Lana and Anne for the quick reply! I will move the bug to

​'​

Fix

​R​

elease

​d'​

and take a look at the other bugs too!!

~

​Petra​

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com <mailto:annegentle at justwriteclick.com> > wrote:

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Petra Sargent <psargent at redhat.com <mailto:psargent at redhat.com> > wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would love to start contributing to the docs and have assigned a couple of bugs to me.  I assigned myself some low-hanging-fruit bugs to get me started.

I am looking at #1488215  <https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1488215> Add evaluator for event alarm in openstack-manuals and  have questions/comments:

The bugs states ->add a new evaluator for event-driven alarm evaluation.

Affects :  <http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/telemetry-alarms.html> http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/telemetry-alarms.html

I reviewed the docs and it looks like a new evaluator has been documented to me.  Could someone point me in the right direction? Am I looking at the correct place?

Please let me know if should start contributing with this bug or I can contribute in another way!

Welcome, Petra!

I still thinking finding the right bugs to work on is the hardest part of working in open source. :) I wanted to let you know that I added a comment to the other bug you had assigned yourself, https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1628564 to show you what was done to add a configuration option default value change.

I'm sure there are more bugs to find and fix, but do know that by triaging bugs to figure out if they have been fixed or not, you're definitely contributing! I found another config reference bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1668542 that is awaiting a patch to land in the nova repo, then the docs can be worked on in the config ref in the openstack-manuals repo. Maybe take a look at that one next? And here's another config ref bug that you could look at to see if the change has already landed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1488564

This kind of work helps, and then you can also familiarize yourself with the content to figure out which docs to work on next. Alex may have ideas for you too!

Anne

Thanks!

Petra

Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>

Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com <http://docslikecode.com>

--

PETRA SARGENT

TECHNICAL WRITER, CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE AND ENGAGEMENT (CEE)

 <https://www.redhat.com/> Red Hat

100 E. Davie Street

Raleigh, NC 27601

 <mailto:psargent at redhat.com> psargent at redhat.com   | IRC:  petra