[OpenStack-docs] Release name in the background

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Sep 8 02:02:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 September 2016 at 23:49, Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:51 AM, Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mahesh,
>>>
>>> Glad you like it! I think we want the image to repeat down the page so
>>> if someone links to the middle of a long page they still have an indication
>>> of which version they are looking at. However, perhaps the spacing between
>>> images can be increased so they do not appear as frequently.
>>>
>>> I've filed a couple of issues for sphinxmark to add these as config
>>> options so we can experiment and find the best look for the OpenStack docs.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/kallimachos/sphinxmark/issues/12
>>> https://github.com/kallimachos/sphinxmark/issues/13
>>>

>> If the solution is experimental, and the readability is poor, let's
>> revert until we have a design we've all agreed to. Right now I find it
>> really distracting and hard to read. Maybe I missed the design phase --
>> totally possible -- but the current overlay watermark makes the Mitaka
>> install guide not readable.
>>
>> Can you come up with some next steps and let us know the plan?
>>
>> Anne
>>

> A few options that are immediately available would be to reduce the
> opacity of the watermark, change its color, and/or reduce the font size.
> For example, the current opacity is 40. This is what it looks like set to
> 10:
>
> http://docs-draft.openstack.org/29/367029/1/check/gate-opens
> tack-manuals-tox-doc-publish-checkbuild/4b8dd8c//publish-doc
> s/draft/install-guide-ubuntu/index.html
>
> Alternatively, an image can be used in place of the text if we have one
> that is more suitable than the text-based solution.
>
> If the concern is with having the watermark behind the text and we want it
> somewhere else on the page, that will require a bit more effort to
> implement.
>
> If the above config options don't provide the desired result, watermarks
> can be turned off by setting 'sphinxmark_enable = False' in the conf.py
> files of the relevant books.
>
> If you have a particular look in mind, let me know and I'll see what I can
> do to make it happen. :)

At the risk of sounding like I'm late to the party or simply being a grumpy
cat, I need to point out that the bug you worked against doesn't talk about
the design. https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1479166

Ideally this solution would have been designed, gotten feedback, tested,
then implemented. Right now you're getting feedback so there's still work
to be done to get a design then do the right implementation.

Ideas:
* The versioning indicator designs I get the most positive response to are
the ones on readthedocs.org. It's in the corner, stays in the same place
regardless of scroll point, and it provides links to other versions. Seems
to address comment #3 in the bug above more than a background watermark
does.

* The design for a watermark we had in the past was vertical rather than
horizontal and did not overlap any text.
http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/apt-debian/content/
Your
second iteration of more transparency helps but still overlaps the text.

I'd like more design work up-front please, and more explanation in the bug
of how the design addressed the concerns. We can get more use out of this
beyond the install guide if it's designed based on input. Think of the CLI
guides, they are not tied to a release name but a release number. Can your
solution solve for more uses than a word-based release name?
Anne

--
Anne Gentle
www.justwriteclick.com