[OpenStack-docs] how is cli-ref generated?

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 20:54:20 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----

"Sort of", nobody is hand writing the RST but triggering the tool that does and submitting the results as a patch is manual. I feel like this is really a case of "patches welcome" though, I've always felt like this was a task the proposal bot could perform - similar to the way translations are pushed across - but the process hasn't gone any further than that since nobody had time to push it and TBH what we have now took out 90% of the effort that was involved previously.

Thanks,

Steve

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder how CLI reference is generated?
> > I looked for some document on the process of the CLI reference but I
> > failed to find it.
> >
> > This question mainly comes from the following two.
> >
> > (1) Why the process is not automated?
> > I see a lot of patches to CLI reference when new version of CLIs are
> > release.
> > I wonder why they are not automated.
> >
> > (2) Duplicated information on OSC
> > OSC provides useful and detail command line help in their devref.
> > OSC CLI reference in openstack-manuals looks like a duplicated effort.
> > If the docs team has not talked with OSC team, it means a lack of
> > communications.
> >
> > Anyway, I think we should try and explore more automated way
> > rather than spend time to keep them up-to-date manually.
> >
> > Thought?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Akihiro

Steve Gordon,