[OpenStack-docs] Docs in BCN: Docs Toolchain Session Wrapup

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Oct 28 07:53:39 UTC 2016

We've completed day three in Barcelona, and the end is sight! We had four sessions yesterday, here's the wrap up for the Toolchain session. Next up today is the API working session, the Ocata planning session, and the contributor meetups for both Documentation and i18n. I'll send a wrapup for those before I start to travel home, including a final deliverables list for Ocata.

Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BCN-Docs-Toolchain

Moderator: Andreas Jaeger

== Discussion ==

* Replacement of docs.o.o and developer.o.o
  - http://docs-beta.openstack.org/ is ready and getting filled with content
  - Custom Error page: http://docs-beta.openstack.org/non-existing
  - No more stale pages, the new update process deletes obsolete pages directly
  - Can have HTTPS once we get a cert and get it set up.
  - When can we do the switch?
  - Andreas will keep working on developer-beta to make it works also.
  - Final testing of content. Python script, + everyone should click through at least five links
* What requirements do we have on older content? Proposals:
  - Store content for supported releases (plus one older release)
  - Need a way to "package" old releases. Gain consensus here. Scriptable rule for deleting?
  - Continue to only show information for official projects and working groups.
* openstackdocstheme
  - Some Sphinx roles are recommended, but are not styled differently. Add styling changes in these cases, and document.
  - Sticky version selector is a good idea? Should look like RTD.
* openstack-doc-tools
  - continue to improve documentation. Point from contributor-guide to the tools repo, document in tools repo, publish that document, and link appropriately from the Contributor Guide.
  - Tidy the repo up: Move docs to a single directory, remove deprecated content, scripts, etc.
  - Add/update source code comments
  - Move to Python 3. Will also require script work to change from Python 2, could support both during transition.

== Deliverables ==

* Anne to patch 404/non-existing page to look like http://www.openstack.org/404
* Anne to run Python script as a link-checker on docs-beta.openstack.org. There was a non-voting gate test on broken links, but now that we're not working in XML it has been removed. Could cause false gate failures if the network fails. There is a Sphinx checker but for performance it's a big slow-down because it checks everything, not just changed files.
* Need mailing list discussion - can we "package" old releases of the docs as zip or pdf files and ensure those are available forever?
* Theme - could we have core members and shepherds for that project to keep it moving forward? Karen Hawkey could be interested, Anne to ask. Brian may be interested, Lana to ask. Need help from a web dev like Graham Hayes. Could also ask Oslosphinx experts if they could help out.

--
Lana Brindley
Technical Writer