[OpenStack-docs] [user-guide] Python SDK examples

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue May 24 13:37:36 UTC 2016

OpenStackClient would be for command-line guides, but OpenStack SDK could be used for ?code examples. I'm not really sure what documentation OSC has out there, but SDK has a start on per-service guides so we're pretty good there.

In general: I don't work on OpenStackClient so I can't answer for them.

________________________________
From: Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 09:07
To: openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org; Everett Toews; Brian Curtin
Subject: [user-guide] Python SDK examples

Hi all,

I want to follow up on a question from the docs meeting about the Python SDK examples that were in the User Guide. This spec [1] indicated they should be moved to developer.openstack.org<http://developer.openstack.org>, but doesn't indicate which guide they could become a part of or if it should be a standalone guide. I looked at the examples and they are from the novaclient, keystoneclient, neutronclient, and so on. Example code at [2]. While it's nice to centrally locate this info, it might be better to rewrite the examples to use openstackclient.

I think it's correct to move the content to api-site, though I'd like someone to determine if the files can fit into the API Quick Start (perhaps with a title change) or as a standalone guide.

Also, should someone revise the examples to use openstackclient? If so, then would it make sense to patch the python-openstackclient repo? [3] Copying Brian and Everett to see if they have opinions. Output is here [4] for easier readability.

1.  http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/mitaka/user-guides-mitaka-reorg.html
2. http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-manuals/tree/doc/user-guide/source/sdk_authenticate_against_networking_endpoint.rst
3. http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-openstackclient
4. http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/sdk_authenticate_against_identity_endpoint.html