[OpenStack-docs] Rebooting Debian support in the install-guide

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed May 18 09:50:40 UTC 2016

On 05/07/2016 11:15 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the Austin summit, I could discuss with Lana about what could be
> done for the Debian support in the install-guide.
>
> Currently, there's these facts:
> - The Debconf support adds lots of conditionals which aren't easy to
> support (ie: it makes the individual foo-install.rst more complicated).
> - Some people would prefer to document the non-interactive mode.
> - Some people (like me) would still prefer to keep supporting using
> Debconf during the installation.
>
> As a consequence, we believe the most easy way forward is as follow:
> - Keep Debian support directly in the install-guide.
> - Remove conditionals for Debian using Debconf in the foo-install.rst
> files, and document there the DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive mode.
> - Push Debconf support in separate foo-debconf-install.rst files, and
> use them to generate the install-guide instead of the normal files.
>
> This means that effectively, we'd have 2 install-guide for Debian, and
> not one anymore. Though the non-interactive one would be very close from
> the Ubuntu one, and wouldn't add much work.
>
> The chapter explaining how Debconf works will have to be written in 2
> versions, one explaining generalities about Debconf, for the
> Debconf-supporting install-guide, and one explaining how to switch to
> the non-interactive mode (ie: using DEBIAN_FRONTEND= or doing
> dpkg-reconfigure debconf).
>
> I hope this solution will satisfy everyone.
>
> Going forward, to make this happen, I would need that the Debian install
> guide gets published again. I am currently not sure how to make this
> happen (ie: what kind of patch is needed?). I have made this patch:
> https://review.openstack.org/313854 but is this enough to get the guide
> in docs.openstack.org? Also, what would be needed to get a guide with
> debiandebconf tag?
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Hi,

I've seen this patch:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/316325/

I didn't realize that it was possible to do it this way, and I believe
that is what the team wanted me to do. Thanks a lot to KATO Tomoyuki for
proposing this patch, that's just awesome! I'll definitively contribute
there.

Once this gets published, IMO, the next thing to do is to modify the
debconf chapter of the standard install-guide, and explain there how to
disable Debconf, then we can slowly start converging with the Ubuntu
stuff. As much as I know there's only 3 places where it will be
different then: Horizon, Neutron and Nova (as package names and a few
things differ on these packages).

Again, thanks KATO Tomoyuki.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)