[OpenStack-docs] Diagram recommendations for Openstack Contributor Guides

Olga Gusarenko ogusarenko at mirantis.com
Fri May 13 07:44:37 UTC 2016

Hello, Nate!
Thanks for raising the point, and welcome to docs!

+ Linette Williams to the discussion. Linette, you probably have something
to contribute here.

As we discussed with Saun and the team on the Summit, the initial plan is
as follows:

   1. Create the templates for the diagrams (a set of images one can
   construct anything they want using them).
   2. Found the tool(s) one could import the templates to it and use it for
   free.
   3. Add the diagram recommendations to the contributor guide.
   4. [future] Revise the existing diagrams.

I can think of quite a big number of questions to discuss, argue =), and
agree upon, and it makes sense to create a spec for this.

What do you think?

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:17 AM, Matt Kassawara <mkassawara at gmail.com>
wrote:

> A good chunk of the existing diagrams were made in OmniGraffle... mostly
> because it provides the path of least resistance in terms of time and
> effort to generate useful diagrams. The documentation build system uses PNG
> files, a raster format, so we request that any diagrams also include an
> editable vector version in a separate file, typically something relatively
> open such as SVG. However, as it turns out, no diagram tool seems to agree
> on SVG file format, so it often helps to include a third file of the
> diagram in the native format. The next problem we face is how to instruct
> new people to make diagrams that conform to some sort of usable standard.
> Not as easy as words, and explanations of things like line width or shading
> often depend on the particular application. So, during the Newton cycle,
> we'd like to determine how to define standards for diagrams and then add
> them to the contributor guide.
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Nate Archer <Nate.Archer at rackspace.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Shaun:
>>
>> My name is Nate Archer. I’m an information developer at Rackspace looking
>> to become more involved with Openstack.
>>
>> Lana Brindley and Darren Chan gave me your name. During the docs planning
>> at Summit, you discussed putting together some diagram recommendations for
>> the Openstack contributor guides. Also in this discussion was Olga,
>> Linnete, Piet, and Matt.
>>
>> I’m starting this email thread as a way of beginning the conversation
>> about diagrams.
>>
>> As a newbie to Openstack, I would really love to see an updated version
>> of the Logical Architecture diagram for the Ironic contributor guide.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas or thoughts?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nate Archer
>> Information Developer I
>> Nate.archer at rackspace.com

Best regards,
Olga Gusarenko

Technical Writer | Mirantis, Kharkiv | 38, Lenin av., Kharkiv, Ukraine
ogusarenko at mirantis.com | skype: gusarenko.olga | +38 (050) 843-14-25