[OpenStack-docs] Some ideas for enhanced Install Guide

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Sun May 8 09:55:49 UTC 2016

We had some discussions in Austin on how to go forward with the Install
Guides and I've wrote up a couple of steps.

Note that this is not complete but something for us to discuss. Lana,
please add what we agree on in your spec.

1) Cookiecutter for project specific install guides with basic
  structure. Make this part of docs team repos...

  First draft at:
  https://github.com/ajaeger/cookiecutter-installguide

  A cookiecutter allows a project to easily setup the structure for the
guide. Please review what I've done and see whether that works.

2) project-config: jobs, job-groups, templates for publishing
  - publish to master/draft or corresponding branch (just a post
    process script that takes install-guide/build/html and publishes
    to proper place for publishing to
    docs.openstack.org/install-guides/BRANCH/SERVICE)

3) Script/job for projects that want to build multiple versions,
   together with variable in project that says which projects to build.

4) Translations for project specific install-guides

5) Instructions how to do all of this

6) Create central Index file for all Install Guides at
docs.openstack.org/install-guides/BRANCH/index.html

  Draft structure:

  Introduction: This Install Guide - or Training Guide - explains how
  to setup a small OpenStack installation to learn about OpenStack in
  an opinonated way. It's purpose is really learning about OpenStack.
  It does not explain different choices, just gives in general one
  possible way. For production usage or even for a proof-of-concept
  usage, an automatic installation should be used.

  Basic Install Guides

  You should install all of these componets to have a basic OpenStack
  cloud:

  * OS
    - Debian
    - openSUSE, SUSE
    - RDO
    - Ubuntu
  * Identity
    - Debian
    - openSUSE, SUSE
    - RDO
    - Ubuntu
  * Image Store

  Advanced Install Guides

  These are additional services that you can install independent of
  each other on top of your basic OpenStack cloud. The instructions
  assume the setup described in the chapters of the "Basic Install
  Guides":

  * Install Guide for Database Service (Trove)
  * Install Guide for Container Service (Magnum)
  * ...

  Automatic Installation

  For automatic installations, see:
  * Ansible modules for OpenStack
  * Chef modules for OpenStack
  * Salt modules for OpenStack
  * ...

7) Automatic testing of basic install scripts.

8) Move content like ceilometer, trove, to project teams.

I'm busy next week and then on vacation for two weeks and therefore will
work on two things next week only:

1) Get the cookiecutter repo setup (if we agree on this)
7) Discuss with Pranav the automatic testing of the install scripts. He
has shown interest in this.

For all the other tasks I'm not signing up *yet*. If others want to do
any of these, please step forward - and I'll see in early June what
still needs to be done and where I'm able to help.

       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)