[OpenStack-docs] Rebooting Debian support in the install-guide

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat May 7 13:03:21 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During the Austin summit, I could discuss with Lana about what could be
> done for the Debian support in the install-guide.
>
> Currently, there's these facts:
> - The Debconf support adds lots of conditionals which aren't easy to
> support (ie: it makes the individual foo-install.rst more complicated).
> - Some people would prefer to document the non-interactive mode.
> - Some people (like me) would still prefer to keep supporting using
> Debconf during the installation.
>
> As a consequence, we believe the most easy way forward is as follow:
> - Keep Debian support directly in the install-guide.
> - Remove conditionals for Debian using Debconf in the foo-install.rst
> files, and document there the DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive mode.
> - Push Debconf support in separate foo-debconf-install.rst files, and
> use them to generate the install-guide instead of the normal files.
>
> This means that effectively, we'd have 2 install-guide for Debian, and
> not one anymore. Though the non-interactive one would be very close from
> the Ubuntu one, and wouldn't add much work.
>
> The chapter explaining how Debconf works will have to be written in 2
> versions, one explaining generalities about Debconf, for the
> Debconf-supporting install-guide, and one explaining how to switch to
> the non-interactive mode (ie: using DEBIAN_FRONTEND= or doing
> dpkg-reconfigure debconf).
>
> I hope this solution will satisfy everyone.
>
> Going forward, to make this happen, I would need that the Debian install
> guide gets published again. I am currently not sure how to make this
> happen (ie: what kind of patch is needed?). I have made this patch:
> https://review.openstack.org/313854 but is this enough to get the guide
> in docs.openstack.org?

In addition to the script change, you need to look at the build jobs in
project-config to see if the correct files will be copied. From
http://docs.openstack.org/contributor-guide/docs-builds.html#build-jobs

The build jobs for documentation are stored in the
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config repository.
The zuul/layout.yaml file and the jenkins/jobs/manual-jobs.yaml or
jenkins/jobs/api-jobs.yaml file contain the Jenkins build jobs that build
to the docs.openstack.org and developer.openstack.org sites, copying built
files via FTP.

The release specific books are built for the currently supported branches
(current and previous releases), development happens on the master branch.
The continuously released books are only built on the master branch.

Then also patch the www/mitaka/index.html file in openstack-manuals to link
to the built html.
https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/blob/master/www/mitaka/index.html
There's also a draft-index html file that's built locally that you'll want
to update to point to debian.

When you work on the project-config configurations, ensure you're
publishing from the stable/mitaka branch, since you'll need to back port to
there I believe.

Basic steps:
- change Sphinx build script in openstack-manuals like 313854
- make sure project-config files are building what you think
- make sure the branches are building what you think
- change www/mitaka/index.html in openstack-manuals to link to built guide

> Also, what would be needed to get a guide with
> debiandebconf tag?

More scripting in openstack-manuals for the conditional tag-based Sphinx
build, and then check the build jobs from
http://docs.openstack.org/contributor-guide/docs-builds.html#build-jobs.

Thanks for asking good questions -
Anne

> Thoughts anyone?