[OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] [manila] Project specific install guide -> use of the "only" tag

Ravi, Goutham Goutham.Ravi at netapp.com
Thu Jun 23 20:11:51 UTC 2016

Hi,

[At the outset, I apologize, I may be late to this train. I hadn’t subscribed to this mailing list.]

The current structure of the install guide allows for a way to specify per-distro commands inside a file using the “only” directive. However, the install-guides that have been worked on so far have separate rst files for each distribution, examples: Heat [1] Magnum [2]. Spyros proposed to update the cookie-cutter to follow this style [3].

While I think this is a fine approach… source content wise, that this is not as easily “maintainable”, because we are duplicating a lot of similar information between these documents. I wanted to mimic what openstack-manuals is doing with the current install-guide. I put up the manila patch [3], and it currently builds to targets ‘install-guide/build-rdo’, ‘install-guide/build-ubuntu’, ‘install-guide/build-obs’, ‘install-guide/build-debian’.

I wanted to gather opinions on this approach.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/orchestration/draft/index.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/330051/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/332161/
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/317152/