[OpenStack-docs] Installation guide disintegration

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:24:14 UTC 2016

I'm trying to avoid working on the installation guide outside of fixing
bugs, but came across a patch [1] that requires a bit more effort for
proper integration. In the patch, the Block Storage backup service depends
on the Object Storage service. The content for the latter recently moved to
the swift repository. While trying to fix references to the Object Storage
service, I found the following problems:

1) The URLs to project-specific guides [2] return 404s, making the content
difficult to test.
2) The primary guide still references the swift storage nodes [3,4], but
the content describing how to configure the hosts (particularly the network
configuration) no longer exists anywhere [5]. Thus, swift is not
installable.
3) Looking at the source of some project-specific guides, the content
varies enough to reduce or eliminate the consistency of the original guide,
a rather important attribute for our audience. In particular, most projects
seem to lack support for all distributions. Someone wanting to evaluate
Zaqar may install core services on Ubuntu and only later realize the
instructions for Zaqar only support RDO packages [6].

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/293331/
[2]
http://docs.openstack.org/draft/install-guide-ubuntu/additional-services.html
[3] http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/install-guide-ubuntu/overview.html