[OpenStack-docs] Report from Austin: Ops Guide Session

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Mon Apr 25 19:20:19 UTC 2016

Hi everyone!

I joined the Ops Guide session at Summit this morning, where we were discussing whether or not the Ops Guide needs a new version.

Session etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AUS-ops-Docs-ops-guide

Here's my notes:

Content:
* Ops/Arch guide overlap
* Content is currently persona-based, should be task-based
* Need to be able to use search to find content
* Need to determine which tasks should be documented. Need ops volunteers to help with this.
* Do we need both books? Once we have decided tasks, we can determine this.

Should we print a new dead tree version?
* Out of date easily
* Plenty of other physical books exist in this space now.
* Decided: no physical book required.

Priorities:
* Attend weekly Openstack Ops meeting (cycling topics)
* Get tasks sorted out for new structure (need Ops volunteers to help) and work out what to go into Ops/Arch
* Work out what's out of date and torch it
* Consider combining Ops/Arch guides if the content determines it

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia
http://lanabrindley.com