[OpenStack-docs] [User Guides] Reorganize User Guides Spec for Mitaka.

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri Oct 23 12:44:25 UTC 2015

On 10/23/2015 08:10 AM, Joseph Robinson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> For the M summit next week, I’ve put together a spec for reorganising
> the User Guides for the M release with the User Guides Team.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/238770/

thanks a lot, this is important work for the Mitaka!

> On some of the Proposed Changes:
>
> I raised number of files in the repository as a proposed change for
> visual reasons – file number has no effect on the build, but my thoughts
> are that smaller repos might make the guide easier to search and handle.
> This idea spun out of User Guide team talks during the conversion to
> .rst format.

And I saw some discussions during reviews where people where complaining
about too large files - so asking for more files ;). IMHO define what
you want to present and then how to split it up - form follows function.

> Conditionals was an (slightly naïve) idea I had for combining the guides
> together. *A point for discussion *here to eventually improve or change
> the docs spec*– Should the User Guides be reorganised to have conditionals?*
> *

I'm really in favor of bringing the guides closer together. You have
looked closely at these guides, did you discuss merging Cloud Admin and
Admin User Guides? So, moving from three to two guides...

Formatting of conditionals is not that trivial as we've seen with the
Install Guide. Also, it causes quite a few problems for translations.
Can't we just link from one guide to the other instead of conditional text?

        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)