[OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] Status of RDO

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 14:47:34 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Lana Brindley" <openstack at lanabrindley.com>
> To: openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org

> Hi everyone,
>
> We've been unable to obtain good pre-release packages from Red Hat for the
> Fedora and Red Hat/CentOS repos, despite our best efforts. This has left the
> RDO Install Guide in a largely untested state, so I don't feel confident
> publishing it at this stage.

I believe Haikel who is one of the RDO package maintainers/release managers sent a response to the above but it's stuck in the moderation queue. Main comment from my side is that it appears the first the RDO team knew of these issues (some of which are real, and some of which are confusion based on differences between distributions and the move to a delorean-based workflow) was when Matt sent his message to rdo-list early Wednesday UTC.

In future I would recommend reaching out to Haikel Guemar (hguemar at redhat.com), Alan Pevec (apevec at redhat.com) and/or RDO list (https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list) a little earlier in the piece - these are the people who can help with RDO packaging issues and clarify any misunderstandings about e.g. package names and location of builds. Hopefully we can take up Zigo's suggestion of a meetup in Tokyo to further clarify the needs of both sides going forward.

I have also suggested to Rich Bown (rbowen at redhat.com) the RDO community liaison that we include the docs testing matrix, and by extension the docs team, in future RDO test days. We did have a test day for Liberty and while issues were uncovered the config issue unfortunately remained undetected, Haikel's email if it gets through moderation will I believe have more details on where we are at with closing that gap and clarifications on the other points of confusion.

-Steve

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/LibertyDocTesting
[2] http://beta.rdoproject.org/testday/rdo-test-day-liberty-01/