[OpenStack-docs] [Contributor guide] Update and questions

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Mon Oct 12 12:12:39 UTC 2015

On 12/10/15 21:43, Olga Gusarenko wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Contributor guide is almost ready to be published.
>
> We have several commits on review at the moment. They are:
>
>    - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/232966/
>    - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/233183/
>    - some information from the HowTo conventions page will be available on
>    review in a day.
>
> *Your reviews are welcome.*
> Therefore, we would like to know the next steps to take to have the guide
> published.
>
>>> *Andreas suggests the following solutions*:
>>> On a technical level: Update tools/build-all-rst.sh so that it does not
> get published at /draft/ and update all index.html pages.
>>> On a process level: Once those changes are in, I suggest we do a one
> week review of the content (still as draft) and afterwards to the technical
> change.
>>> We do not need to wait for Liberty, we can publish and announce anytime
> we think we're ready.

+1

> Another question is about DocBook markup. I suggest leaving the related
> conventions as they are (on wiki), and create a separate page in the
> Contributor guide with the information that the DocBook markup is
> deprecated at the moment but if users need it they can refer to
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Markup_conventions.
> What do you think?
>
>>> *from Andreas*:
>>> Works for me.

Docbook isn't entirely deprecated, we still have books using it. So I agree with leaving it on the wiki and putting a pointer to it in the Guide, but maybe just say that we are in the process of moving away from Docbook, rather than calling it deprecated.

> *Your thoughts and ideas regarding the matter are very much appreciated!*

Thank you for working on this! Looking forward to getting it published :)

- --
Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia