[OpenStack-docs] [Contributor Guide] RST inline markup for application and command

KATO Tomoyuki tomo at dream.daynight.jp
Sat Nov 21 04:22:27 UTC 2015

> > Hi team,
> >
> > We have RST inline markup conventions for application and command [1].
> > On the other hand, we decided to use `` (double backticks) for file name
> > and path.
> > For simplicity... easy to learn for new comer... view at GitHub......
> > (:file:` ` is not a first recommendation, but acceptable.)
> >

> I believe these are for translation purposes, so you cannot change that
> convention without consulting with the i18N team first. Have you gotten
> sign-off from that team for this change?
>
> Also by submitting this change are you also going to change all existing
> docs?

I discussed I18n team (include me :).
The result as I18n team is:
 - Changing "program" is okay
 - Changing "command" is not good

The detail:
 - the markup (program or command) itself doesn't help translators so much.
   - in the worst case, a newcoming translator translates the markup
     string itself, which breaks the document.
     this is a fact we had a day ago.
   - so, simple markup is better for translators. `` `` is enough good:
     "this string has a special meaning. don't translate, or translate carefully!"
 - frequent changing strings, include markup, is annoying
   because it resets the translations.
 - program markup is not so used.
 - command markup is used a lot.

So, I updated the my patch: