[OpenStack-docs] [install] Instructions for installation using VMs

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Nov 13 21:09:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:

> Sort of an oddball thought, but Vagrant (vagrantup.com) could be used.
> It'd replace all the screenshots with a file that would configure the
> hypervisor correctly.  It does support multiple hypervisors[1], so it would
> encapsulate all the different hypervisors and let a user get on with the
> actual installation guide content.
>
> I've used Vagrant for my DevStack vms for a long time, so I could help
> whip something together.

There are plenty of these implementations running around; the fundamental
question is about the cost associated with long-term maintenance and
whether the stated goal for the install guides can be met.

Do we still fundamentally consider the install guides to be for a "training
wheels" exercise? Do we think VMs are a worthwhile way to meet that goal?
If so does the implementation require the level of detail beyond hints and
tips? I think Matt lays out decent reasons not to go down the path.

Anne

> [1]: https://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/providers/index.html
> --
> Sean M. Collins