[OpenStack-docs] [install] Instructions for installation using VMs

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 00:08:13 UTC 2015

A rather significant number of people deploy OpenStack for the first time
using VMs rather than bare metal. Several cycles ago, we decided to provide
some basic notes (e.g., disable MAC address filtering and/or enable
promiscuous mode depending on the hypervisor) rather than developing
step-by-step instructions for those using VMs for the following reasons:

1) Given our proactive approach of updating and testing the installation
content for each release, we would need additional resources to reasonably
test it using VMs.
2) We would need additional resources to maintain the VM deployment content
including bug triage.
3) Supporting one hypervisor means requests to support additional
hypervisors, each requiring additional resources.
4) Not sure how to handle potential license incompatibilities.
5) Most hypervisors use GUIs and screen shots don't translate.

A patch currently resides in the queue [1] that provides step-by-step
instructions for deploying VMs using VirtualBox. We need to discuss the
possibility of merging this patch into the installation guide and how to
address these (and potentially other) issues around it.

Matt

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/241320/