[OpenStack-docs] OpenStack Documentation Contributor Guide - Idea for SEO considerations

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sun Nov 8 22:26:22 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Linette J Williams <stemke at us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> In reviewing the Contributor guide this week, I noticed that we don't say
> anything specific about SEO considerations for new contributions.
> For example, title and keyword recommendations to consider when creating
> new content, etc...
> I created a bug here with an idea -->
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1513270
> Alexandra suggested I send to the mailing list for further discussion and
> Anne added some initial comments. Thank you both.
>
> Does anyone have additional thoughts or suggestions on this topic? Do you
> agree it could be helpful?

I think it could be helpful, but oddly when I originally saw the bug I
thought you had ideas for what already is "wrong" with the site and SEO. So
I was hoping you'd know how to fix it. :) I find it's one of our major
complaints is searchability.

> Maybe you know of some useful tools/links to include in the content?

Yes, I think that people writing for the docs site need to know:
- we generate a sitemap.xml every release (but it would be nice to automate
it every build)
- we have a Google Custom Search Engine but it is controlled with a
Foundation staff person's configuration, so we need to communicate with the
Foundation when we want to suggest changes
- anything on the draft site should not be searchable/findable in Google
- because of Google's algorithm, the older releases get higher find hits
for a while, but also realize that only two guides are "released" -- the
install guides and config guides
- titles have a specific style and consistency guideline
- page names mimic the file name of the source and may also provide better
SEO when written thoughtfully

> Specific guides that you notice could use attention?

I think that the work going on to bring the admin user guide content
together with the admin guide, specced at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/238770/, will go a long way in helping
people find what they seek.

We also have a big problem looming with 30+ projects writing docs to
docs.openstack.org without any SEO considerations nor guidelines. Please
keep in mind the myriad docs written that aren't sourced from
openstack-manuals. We need a solution for not drowning out the best-written
content.

Thanks for looking into this.

Anne

> Thanks in advance for looking at the bug and providing your feedback.
>
> With appreciation,
> Linette
> Linette J. Williams
> *Content experience | design | development *
>

> *IBM Cloud - COE Open Source*
> E-mail: stemke at us.ibm.com

Anne Gentle
Rackspace