[OpenStack-docs] Style Question for Project Names

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sun May 31 23:39:19 UTC 2015

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 10:18 PM, APlimpton <aplimpton at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Also while we're at it can we decide if it should be "an SQL" or "a SQL"
> and doc that in the conventions page? That way there is consistency across
> the board. " whoo more usage fun :)
>
> Well, technically the "S" is a consonant so it would mean using "a".
> However the rule is use "a" with a consonant sound and "an" with a vowel
> sound. If you pronounce SQL as "seek-quill" then "a" is logical. If you
> pronounce SQL as "es-queue-el" then that "es" is a vowel sound  the "an" is
> logical.  I completely see where it would be used both ways as a result.
>
> Perhaps the best is to use the "a" in writing with the understanding that
> when spoken it will often become "an"?

Right, IBM Style Guide as final say here, "an SQL" is correct. "An SQL
programmer writes an SQL table."

I can send you a printed copy, I think I still have one or two, but I just
did a Google search for 'ibm style guide "an sql"' and found those examples
above.

Send me your mailing address (and phone number you want FedEx to have for
tracking) if you'd like a printed copy. I'll send copies of the ones I have!
Anne

--
Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com