[OpenStack-docs] Style Question for Project Names

APlimpton aplimpton at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:07:53 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I am hoping this isn't secretly a hot button issue -- in our Conventions
page
(
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Conventions#OpenStack.2C_not_Openstack_or_openstack)
it says that the capitalization of the project team names (like swift,
nova, heat) are lowercase. It lists the official capitalization as
lowercase and further spells out that "When used as a command-line-client
name, lowercase is best. When used for the team or project name, typically
it's not necessary to capitalize."

I think that we should revise this convention so that team and project
names typically start with a capitalized letter. For example Cinder,
Neutron, Glance.
Reasons:
  * The community seems to have embraced this style choice.
  * This is a logical choice as it is a proper noun.
  * It minimizes confusion if a reference is for project name or
command-line interface name.

How does the "change a convention" process work?

Thanks,
Amanda