[OpenStack-docs] deprecation/future of "OpenStack Operations Guide"

Christian Berendt christian at berendt.io
Wed May 27 13:54:32 UTC 2015

On 05/27/2015 03:39 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> So, I'd like to see it get care and feeding. What could we do to get
> maintainers on it?

I have spoken to several operators in Vancouver and most of them would
be willing to share there collected contents. I think we "only" have to
enable them because most of them have simply not thought about sharing
there documentation and we have to simplify the overall workflow to add
and modify the content (RST migration). Also I think it could be a topic
for the upcoming ops summit to have a working session there.

Where should we start? I think first we should discuss the overall
content of the ops guide.

"This book provides information about designing and operating OpenStack
clouds."

I think today "designing OpenStack clouds" is part of the "OpenStack
Architecture Design Guide" and all content related to the design of a
OpenStack cloud should be moved there.

Next we should identify redundant content.

For example we explain how to manage projects/users in the ops guide and
in the user guide admin
(http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/content/projects_users.html,
http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide-admin/manage_projects_users_and_roles.html).
Where should it stay?