[OpenStack-docs] Autogenerate the API Reference

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri May 8 13:09:21 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 7:55 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-05-08 07:48:57 -0500 (-0500), Anne Gentle wrote:
>> > So I woke up this morning and realized, there's no way we should
>> > be using stable/release branches to generate docs. The reviewers
>> > are fewer for those branches and less likely to know anything
>> > about API changes and uses.
>> [...]
>>
>> More to the point, APIs aren't supposed to change in stable
>> branches. That's one of the things that makes them "stable."
>>

> Right, but the counterpoint is that docs are supposed to document final
> state and truth, and by scraping during a non-final dev time period, the
> docs won't themselves be stable. So that's where the difficulty lies. :)

Oh and not to argue with myself, ha ha, but also, no consumer of these docs
is using a cloud that adds API calls at the same time as they land in
master branch. Even here at Rackspace with our continuous deployment, we
carefully add new calls for end-users later than they actually land in the
master branch.

Still, the vision is a useful guide for those consumers, and that's what
I'll keep as job one.

Anne

annegentle at justwriteclick.com