[OpenStack-docs] [install guide] Conditional text in RST

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Mar 27 20:58:35 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Bernd Bausch <berndbausch at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the points raised in the last install guide meeting was the
> question if separate sources should be created for the various Linux
> distributions or if one source should be used, as is currently the case
> with the DocBook-based guides. I believe that the team tended towards
> separate sources because it wasn't clear how conditional text of the form
> "if SUSE then these install instructions, else if Redhat then those
> instructions" could be implemented in RST.
>
> Has anybody investigated whether the built-in Sphinx extension "ifconfig" (
> http://sphinx-doc.org/ext/ifconfig.html) would be an adequate solution?

Yes.

Refer to
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2015-February/005863.html

For consideration is that going to RST/Sphinx is meant to simplify
authoring. Conditional, especially at the phrase level, is not
simplification.

Please do study it further though if you are interested! I could be
persuaded to have one set of guides remain complicated if presented with
enough information. My sense of it today is that it's not part of our
primary goals going forward though.

> Bernd Bausch
> berndbausch at gmail.com

Anne Gentle