[OpenStack-docs] [RST] [Admin User Guide] doc-public-checkbuild test

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Mar 24 20:30:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 03/24/2015 02:19 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
>

>> On Mar 24, 2015, at 4:07 AM, Olga Gusarenko <ogusarenko at mirantis.com
>> <mailto:ogusarenko at mirantis.com>> wrote:
>>
>>  Guys, I have problems with my patches that refer to playground admin
>>> user guide. There are probably issues with scopes.
>>> Here is the link to one of my commits:
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/166786
>>> It could not pass the doc-public-checkbuild test (though the build was
>>> successful locally) until I marked the files with
>>> ":scope:docs_for_admin" (and not "admin_only" as it is stated in the
>>> migration conventions).
>>> BUT now the files are not included to the guide built by Jenkins.
>>>
>>> What should I do in this case? What`s the plan for combining end-user
>>> and admin-user guides?
>>>

>> Andreas and I are working on a solution with this patch:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/166869/
>>
>> More eyes would be great while we look for a solution.
>> Thanks,
>> Anne
>>

> I'm still struggling to get this working properly with all files, any help
> is welcome.
>
> But looking at User Guide and Admin Guide: Do we really need two guides
> that duplicate a lot? What about marking in the section title specific
> sections with "(Admin only)" instead and have one guide?

I would love to hear from the User Guide specialty team as they work
through the information architecture questions like this, would one guide
be fine or even preferred?

We'll have to balance readability with maintainability, but I think the
main idea is to move to "every page is page one" (topic authoring), so
duplicating output pages isn't necessary because we don't need a
"collection" in a guide in the topic-oriented world.

Still, I want to be sure we have similar features in re-use, and this was a
good limited test of that. Glossary re-use is harder to solve so these
lessons help us along the way!

Thank you for the help!

Anne

> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
>        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com