[OpenStack-docs] Sphinx error when building in openstack-manuals

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Mar 23 11:28:54 UTC 2015

On 03/23/2015 11:21 AM, Bernd Bausch wrote:
> My goal is to add a page to openstack-manuals (it describes policy.json).
> While its best location would be the configuration guide, there is only one
> directory with RST files, "playground-user-guide". So I put it there.

You cannot mix RST and DocBook directly. So, a file for the
configuration guide needs to be DocBook XML.

> Maven is not interested in the playground, since there is no pom.xml.
> Therefore, I run Sphinx directly.

Or run it via tox - tox -e docs

> 1- add policy.rst to openstack-manuals/doc/playground-user-guide/source
> 2- add it to the table of contents in index.rst

And thus it will show only up in the New User Guide.

> 3- in the source directory, "sphinx-build -b html . my-output-directory"
>

> Sphinx throws this at me:
>
> File
> "/home/bbausch/openstack/policy/openstack-manuals/doc/playground-user-guide/
> sphinx-ext/scope.py", line 32, in builder_inited
>      path = os.path.join(app.env.srcdir, doc + app.env.config.source_suffix)
> TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, list found
>
> When I remove the "scope" extension from conf.py, sphinx-build completes
> successfully. I doubt this is the solution, though.
>
> I guess I miss something somewhere. What could it be?

Do you have all requirements installed that are mentioned in
test-requirements.txt? tox will install them for you,

    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)