[OpenStack-docs] RST line length

Meg McRoberts dreidellhasa at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 22:43:41 UTC 2015

The conventions (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Markup_conventions#Avoid_long_lines)specify a maximum 70 characters per line; currently, checkniceness balks at anything longer than 69 chars.
I think the recommendation should be 80 chars rather than 70 -- it just seems more "natural" somehowand is still short enough for gerrit displays.
Personally, I favor short lines, broken along natural semantic boundaries (sentences, clauses) rather thanusing the vi facility to just wrap the text arbitrarily but that may be too much for some people.
checkniceness does allow for programlistings/screens and URLs but it doesn't differentiate tables and I'mnot sure it can.  For this reason, I propose that the checkniceness limit be expanded, perhaps to 100.  Asan example, check the table in this section:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/188974/8/doc/ha-guide/source/networking-ha-l3.rst
The first column has some long strings that shouldn't be broken, so I ended up with a third column of 2-4 words,which is annoying and would make it impossible to put a URL or even a full pathname in that column.Worse, after I made these changes, the column widths in the formatted table are not correct -- the first columnends up being much wider than is necessary and the third column has pretty much the very short lines that arein the source.
In the aforementioned CR, look at patch 5 or earlier to see this table before I had to redo it to placatecheckniceness.

Other opinions?Meg