[OpenStack-docs] OpenStack-docs Digest, Vol 37, Issue 45

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Jul 27 19:39:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Christian Berendt <christian at berendt.io>
wrote:

> On 07/27/2015 04:01 PM, Karen Bradshaw wrote:
>
>> Try to *not* use auto numbering with .. only:: directives.
>>

> Hmm. How to solve the following case without duplicating the content? (I
> have a similiar case for the Swift section.)
>
> #.
>
> .. only:: rdo
>
>    2. foo
>
> .. only:: rdo or ubuntu
>
>    3. bar
>
>       more content...
>
> 4. blar
>
>    a lot of more content
>
> 5. blub
>
>    and mor content
>
> Not being able to use auto numbering we have to duplicate the whole
> content of the content inside .. only:: rdo or ubuntu because the numbering
> for rdo is 1., 2., 3., 4., 5. and for ubuntu it is 1., 2., 3., 4. So we
> also have to duplicate all the content after the second usage of the only
> directive (4. in this simple example).
>
> Is there a pending bug report for Sphinx to fix the auto numbering feature
> when using the only feature? I really do not like to manually number lists.
> This will result in a lot of overhead (renumbering when adding a new entry
> to a list, ..), unmaintable documents, and wrong numbered lists.

For what it's worth, I also believe we need autonumbering to work with
conditional.

I looked for any existing issues and didn't see any.

https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=only&type=Issues

Please log an Issue (or I can if you don't have time) because I think we
need to fix.

> Christian.

Anne Gentle
Rackspace