[OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] Meeting notes, 30 June 2015

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 18:33:04 UTC 2015

During the installation guide renovation process, we originally intended to
support one path (neutron with Open vSwitch and tenant/external networks)
given the imminent deprecation of nova-network. However, the latter didn't
happen, so we kept the nova-network path and agreed to limit future
development efforts to the neutron path.

The two different paths continue to cause confusion, particularly with the
basic environment (host and network) requirements. Since I began working
with OpenStack around the Havana release, neutron seems to generate the
most frustration, particularly due to general lack of current, concise
documentation and inexperience with Linux networking. Along came the
networking guide that illustrates a variety of different deployment
scenarios including the simple to understand and deploy provider networks
with Linux bridge scenario that closely mimics nova-network. This scenario
isn't new... just not widely known or understood until the documentation
appeared for it.

I'm not privy to all of the discussions, but long story short, a variety of
people think this scenario presents a viable alternative to nova-network
for new installations and insist that we include it in the installation
guide. However, given the issues with two paths, three will only increase
confusion. Trying to retain two paths, we can't replace neutron with Open
vSwitch and tenant/external networks with provider networks because the
latter doesn't support self-service networking, a significant feature of
cloud computing. So, I agree with replacing nova-network with the similar
provider networks with Linux bridge scenario. It also makes sense to
replace the existing neutron with Open vSwitch configuration with Linux
bridge to flatten the learning curve with self-service networking and to
provide better consistency between the two paths.