[OpenStack-docs] RST include files - proposal forward

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat Jul 11 18:05:35 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> So far, we have included RST files with
> :include: some-file.rst
>
> and then added the file to a hidden toctree.
>
> I propose - as mentioned by somebody else previously - to use the
> following practice:
>
> * include files end with .txt
>
> That's all. Since sphinx ignores .txt files, we do not need to add any
> hidden toctree at all...

One potential benefit to keeping .rst is that they render okay (not great,
I know) on GitHub itself. Basically .txt files with RST markup don't render
at all.

I've seen both practices so we should discuss, adopt one and stick with it.
Thanks for bringing it up Andreas!
Anne

> Any better ideas? Otherwise I add this to our wiki...
>
> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton,
>        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Anne Gentle
Rackspace
Principal Engineer
www.justwriteclick.com