[OpenStack-docs] Tox on Docs, Docs on Tox

APlimpton aplimpton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:01:46 UTC 2015

Hello!

I am following the instructions on our wiki and dev workflow page to check
if a new person can use them to get up and running. I started with a clean
install of Ubuntu on a VM and I've gotten everything up to the point of
using tox for local output fairly successfully. The errors start where our
instructions
say to cd to openstack-manuals and then run "tox - e docs".

I had to install tox, then saw errors that gcc needed to be installed, and
now it looks like libxml2 and libxslt are also needed. This is the second
OS that I've run into issues on.

I think we are missing some prerequisites in our instructions. We advise
people install maven, git, and git-review but not the others that needed
for the tox command to work with openstack-manuals. Would it better to:

1) List individual dependencies like some of the other projects do?
or
2) Have people install devstack to get dependencies installed?

Thanks,
Amanda