[OpenStack-docs] move of documentation-related wiki content

Olga Gusarenko ogusarenko at mirantis.com
Wed Jul 1 12:32:04 UTC 2015

Thanks Andreas and Bernd for responds!

Please, see my comments inlines.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 07/01/2015 10:33 AM, Olga Gusarenko wrote:
>
>> Hi to everyone!
>>
>> I am rising this thread again because I am willing to be involved in the
>> matter if the community decides in favour of the proposed change, cause
>> I am strongly convinced that it can improve the doc contributors'
>> experience. Lets finally dot all the 'i's =)
>>
>> I have already discussed the matter with Lana, took into consideration
>> your opinions (you have kindly mailed in this thread), and here is what
>> I came up with.
>>
>> *Problem Description*
>>
>> Basing on my own experience and the experience of my colleagues, the
>> information for the docs contributors located on wiki sometimes contains
>> outdated info and can be improved by restructuring.
>>
>> *Proposed Solution*
>>
>> We propose to initiate the creation of the Documentation Contributors
>> Guide targeted at the contributors to the OpenStack documentation that
>> will cover the following issues:
>>
>>   * Markup conventions
>>   * Terminology and writing syntax conventions
>>   * Screenshots and topologies conventions
>>   * Documentation structure
>>   * Gerrit workflow (HowTo)
>>

> The gerrit workflow should really be part of the infra-manual. Let's avoid
> duplication with that one.

If we put the gerrit workflow to some other place (different from another
content location), the remaining information will fit the "Style Guide"
name.
And I am against it as it is not convenient for me as for a contributor to
refer to different locations while making changing in the docs. I am for a
single entry for all the contribution-related staff.

>    * /anything else interesting to the community /
>>
>> *What To Be Done*
>>
>> This task can be resolved in two steps:
>>
>> /_STEP 1:_/ moving the cleaned up content from wiki.
>>
>> As we are treating our documentation as the code and willing others to
>> do so, we propose to relocate all the conventions, how to instructions
>> and any docs contributor-related things to 'somewhere'. probably
>> tohttp://docs.openstack.org/infra <http://docs.openstack.org/infra> (as
>> this was proposed earlier by Christian) as a single-entry, full, and
>> neatly organized guide that answers questions that arise in the docs
>> creation workflow.
>>
>  The wiki is definitely not much convenient, it has narrowed
>> functionality and lacks a number of features that have become essential
>> part of any internet user nowadays, such as search, proper navigation,
>> and some others.
>>
>> Moving things aroundwill noways influence its openness to the community
>> or make the conventions less flexible. This will only unify and simplify
>> the process. Besides, the docs contributor guide should be definitely
>> treated more seriously by the contributors than things placed in wiki.
>>
>> /_STEP 2:_/ discuss and add the content that's missing from the
>> 'I-am-a-contributor' position.
>>
>> *Problems to Discuss*
>>
>> Lets answer the main questions and plan the future basing on the
>> decision made:
>>
>> 1. The first and the most important question is:
>>
>> *Documentation Contributor Guide: to be or not to be? *
>>

> I'd love to see this - but only as long as there's a small team dedicated
> to move everything from the wiki.
>
> I also like to see a spec for this effort to design what we want.

I am willing to take care of this after we discuss and arrive at a
consensus about the guide scopes, creating/publishing procedure and
deadlines.

>  2. Where is the most appropriate location for it?
>>
>> I agree that http://docs.openstack.org/infra is the best place, but
>> before taking any steps in this direction, we should thoroughly discuss
>> what kind of content this should include with the its owner, and find a
>> compromise. Jeremy, did I understand your point right?
>>

> We can easily publish anywhere where it fits, the URL is for me just
> cosmetics. I don't think that /infra is the best fit.
>
> Looking at your question, the question becomes more: Do we move some parts
> to infra-manual (docs.openstack.org/infra/manual) and some to our own
> place and link between the two? Or what's the relationship between what you
> propose and infra-manual.

No, I am against splitting the contributor-related information. I am for
the Contributor Guide (not a kind of a guide related to the writing style
only).
If you know the better place for it, lets discuss as I am probably not
experienced enough in this question.

--
Best regards,
Olga