[OpenStack-docs] Newbie

Christian Berendt berendt at b1-systems.de
Tue Jan 20 17:19:34 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 05:43 PM, Tanja Roth wrote:
> I'm new to this list and I'm a member of the SUSE doc team. I have been
> working on the SUSE Cloud End User Guide and Admin User Guide since
> some time.

Welcome.

> 1) What to do with the doc bug reports we have for both guides in
> SUSE-Bugzilla? Should I / do I need to transfer them to launchpad in
> order to fix them in the upstream docs?

We should keep our bugs in a central place and do not split them across
multiple vendor specific bug tracking systems. I do not want to have
(even I already have them) accounts on every bug tracking system and I
do not want to read tons of duplicate bug reports.

Also we should not mention bugs in other bug tracking systems in the
commit messages. Referenced bug reports should be published on Launchpad.

> 2) What to do in case we need SUSE-specific content in the manuals?
>    - For example, we have a bug report asking to specify which guests
>      are supported by SUSE Cloud.

The upstream documents should be independent of specific vendor
products. It is sufficient to document the installation and usage of
OpenStack on several distributions (including SLES and openSUSE). It is
not okay to document the installation or usage of specific products like
SUSE Cloud, RDO or Mirantis OpenStack.

>    - We have some sections [1] that contain SUSE-specific instructions
>      (e.g how to build images in SUSE Studio and image requirements
>      related to that) - what to do with those?

Put them in your knowledgebase and link them in the image guide. Please
do not start adding SUSE specific documentation to the upstream
documentation. There is a chapter "Tool support for image creation"
(http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/ch_creating_images_automatically.html)
in the image-guide (including SUSE Studio).

> Should I add SUSE-specific content for the Admin User/End User Guide
> simply in a para (or within a section) by saying "For SUSE Linux
> Enterprise or openSUSE, do [...]"? If yes, would that be acceptable
> also for snippets longer than (let's say) 1-2 sentences?

I would really like to not have distribution specific
sections/paragraphs in the guides. We have installation guides
describing the basic installation on several distributions. This should
be enough. It is hard enought to keep those guides in sync with the
latest release of OpenStack and the latest release of the distributions.
For example the installation guide is still not available for openSUSE
13.2 and SLES 12.

Christian.

--
Christian Berendt