[OpenStack-docs] [training-labs] Cluster VM setup hangs in Ubuntu 14 Trusty

Roger Luethi rl at patchworkscience.org
Sat Dec 26 17:39:51 UTC 2015

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 13:37:13 +0530, Adam Lawson wrote:
> Working through the cluster setup process on a Google Compute instance
> running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS using VNC to connect. The first VM config appears
> to be hanging when waiting for SSH to respond on 127.0.0.1:2229. Any
> suggestions on what causes this and how to resolve?
>
> Also, should I be seeing the VM's appear when I open VirtualBox GUI during
> the setup process (I would think so but I don't)?

Only one at this stage, a VM called "base" (used for building the base
disk).

> Starting VM "base"
> > Waiting for VM "base" to power on...
> > VM "base" has been successfully started.
> > Waiting 5 seconds for VM "base" to come up
> > Using _PS_ssh
> > http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/training-labs/plain/labs/osbash/lib/osbash/netboot/preseed-ssh-v2.cfg
> > Pushing boot command line
> > Initiating boot sequence
> > Installing operating system; waiting for reboot
> > .Waiting for ssh server to respond on 127.0.0.1:2229.................
>
> and it just goes and goes and goes after that. Seems to be iterating to
> "see" a service come online that never happens. Thoughts?

This would go on on for about 20 to 30 minutes (mostly depending on the
speed of your Internet connection). It _is_ waiting for the installation
to go through and the server to respond on 127.0.0.1:2229. You should be
able to see the distro installation on the VirtualBox console (either
"Show" on VirtualBox 5 or use osbash -g gui option).

Roger