[OpenStack-docs] Improving OpenStack documentation around RabbitMQ

Michael Klishin mklishin at pivotal.io
Tue Apr 28 15:47:03 UTC 2015

On 28 April 2015 at 17:24:56, Anne Gentle (annegentle at justwriteclick.com) wrote:
> The entry point for documentation is
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo.

Thank you.

> We will discuss in
> Vancouver on the summit how to improve the experience for newcomers
> the documentation.

By the way, I attend it, including the design summit. Do I need to RSVP somewhere to join that session? :)

> > As far as I understand, OpenStack Kilo is about to ship. Does
> this mean we can only contribute
> > documentation improvements for the release after it? Are there
> maintenance releases that doc improvements
> > could go into? If so, how is this reflected in repository branches?
>
> In a few days there will be a stable/kilo branch. It is possible
> backport changes from the current state of the repository to
> the stable
> branches. We do not have to wait for the regular maintaince release
> publish changes there.

Perfect.

> > Should the changes we propose be discussed on this list or in
> GitHub issues [1]?
>
> On this list or on launchpad. We do not use the Github issues.
>
> https://launchpad.net/openstack-manuals

Got it. I suspect developer docs cover how patches are submitted.

> > Finally, we are considering adding a doc guide dedicated to
> OpenStack on rabbitmq.com (we have one for EC2,
> > for instance). Note that we are not looking
> > to replace what's on docs.openstack.org, only provide a guide
> that can go into more details.
> > Does this sound like a good idea to the OpenStack community?
> Should we keep everything on docs.openstack.org?
> > Would it be OK if we link to rabbitmq.com guides in any changes
> we contribute? I don't think OpenStack Juno
> > docs have a lot of external links: is that by design?
>
> I think it depends. It would be nice to have a working minimal guide
> for
> RabbitMQ inside the OpenStack documentation (as used at the
> moment in
> the installation guides).

I agree.

> Do you mean this EC2 guide: http://www.rabbitmq.com/ec2.html
> ?

That's the one, yes.

> I think
> such guides should be directly published on rabbitmq.com. I
> can assist
> while writing a guide for OpenStack.

We are leaning towards this, too: have a minimalistic guide on openstack.org
and link to relevant parts on rabbitmq.com, then introduce a separate guide for OpenStack
users that we'll maintain.

Thank you, folks. This has been very helpful. We'll get to work on the patches :)
--
MK