[OpenStack-docs] Project name convention

Shilla Saebi shilla.saebi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 22:53:37 UTC 2015

Hi Akihiro,

I recently just asked this question to the mailing list myself after going
through the doc conventions wiki and here is the response I received:

"The thinking here is that the team names were not trademarked nor would
they ever be, so there's no reason to start rules for when to capitalize
and when not to. Too many rules to track. For simplicity, always lower case
the team name, the configuration file names associated with the project,
the folder names, the service names, and so on. Only worry about
capitalization rules when absolutely necessary. It's even why we use
sentence case for titles -- there aren't additional rules to learn."

I think it's best to practice what is defined on the documentation
conventions wiki page which can be found here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Conventions#Service_and_project_names

To -1 or reject things because of disagreements with written published
standards adds a major stumbling block to getting things done. It's already
hard enough to get things pushed through as is. New contributors only have
certain standards to work from and we shouldn't make it more difficult for
them to be successful at it. Thanks

Shilla