[OpenStack-docs] [training-guides][osbash] zero_empty.sh

Pranav Salunke dguitarbite at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:09:33 UTC 2015

Hello,

I would like to discuss the need for zeroing out the base disk done by
zero_empty.sh.

The significant advantage of this script is to zero out the remaining
unused space in the disk which helps in compression of the disk. But this
comes with the following disadvantages:

   1. Time required to create base disk is increased (zeroing out takes
   some time)
   2. Disk space used is the max. size of the disk - makes thin
   provisioning pointless. Thin provisioning of the disks is really useful and
   should be considered.
   3. Increasing the disk space will significantly increase the time taken
   for creating the base-disk and hence it may take hours for a cluster having
   50+GB disk size.
   4. Increase in the services and increasing demand to run heavier and
   more useful images apart from Cirros image makes this important point to
   consider.

I strongly believe that the loss in compression would be insignificant as
compared to the other benefits. I would like to hear from our team about
this.

Regards,
Pranav