[OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] minimal requirements for a proof-of-concept environment

Roger Luethi rl at patchworkscience.org
Thu Apr 16 18:38:48 UTC 2015

The training-labs scripts currently install OpenStack with this config:

controller: 1 processor, 1 GB RAM
network: 1 processor, 512 MB RAM
compute: 2 processors, 1 GB RAM

Main issue is that you can't start a whole lot of instances on compute with
1 GB RAM. Then again, you catch some interesting corner cases.

So yes, this does work for a proof of concept environment. I suspect a)
that having 2 processors on compute is not strictly necessary and b) it
will still work once we're done adding heat and ceilometer (in progress).

I wouldn't recommend putting any serious load on such an environment,
though, unless you are studying failure modes.

Roger