[OpenStack-docs] Unable to auto-generate config options for neutron plugin

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Apr 7 06:01:24 UTC 2015

On 07/04/15 13:35, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 04/07/2015 03:14 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Sripriya Seetharam <sseetha at brocade.com
>> <mailto:sseetha at brocade.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Anne,____
>>
>>     __ __
>>
>>     After doing a bit of digging, I found that the autohelp.py was not
>>     importing the brocade vyatta l3 plugin and failed with an import
>>     error. This happened due to recent vendor-decomposition where we
>>     moved our files out of neutron tree to stackforge repo. After
>>     installing the vendor package in virtual environment, it was able to
>>     import and auto-generate the configs.
>>

>> Great news! Can I persuade you update the README.rst with that
>> additional info? :) If you don't have the time I'll post a patch
>> tomorrow and put you as a reviewer.
>

> This raises a complete different kind of questions - are we going to
> document these drivers that are out of tree and in stackforge now?
>
> Looking at our spec at
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/kilo/move-driver-docs#proposed-change
> we mention that drivers must be in the core repository. But Neutron
> split them all out.
>
> So, shall we rework the spec and enhance it for Neutron?

I think so - the driver ecosystem is a key part of the value proposition
for OpenStack. Looking at it from a user perspective, users still want
driver docs  :) I think the general vibe of the "Proprietary driver docs
in openstack-manuals" was about documenting the open source/default ones
and making sure users had access to documents about all other drivers,
regardless of where the documents were located.

Due to this move, I don't think being in/out of tree is the same for
Neutron as other projects (eg Cinder, Nova), since these are the same
drivers that were in tree just a release ago - their quality hasn't
changed, just their location.

The spec supports this idea, either:
* dedicated people like Sripriya commit to maintaining "full" in-tree
documents, or
* we make a little stub article linking to a vendor site

and the line in the spec covering non open source drivers says:

"Only drivers are covered that are contained in the official OpenStack
project repository for drivers (for example in the main project
repository or the official “third party” repository)."

We could probably interpret this as "for neutron, the official third
party repository is all stackforge repositories that start with
networking-*"