[Openstack-docs] Getting started

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Sep 26 13:40:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 2:54 AM, Bas Peters <baspeters93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>

> I’m new to the mailing list (and Openstack in general) and would like to
> start contributing now that I have some more time on my hands. Problem is I
> just rolled out of college and have never seriously contributed to an open
> source project. What’s the best way for me to get started? I saw an e-mail
> come by about install-guide testing and logging bugs against any errors I
> might find. I was wondering if there’s some coordinating mechanism in place
> so I can see what distribution I could best focus on?

Great thinking -- and those links will help. As a summary of the groupings
by distro:

Ubuntu: we know the issues and Matt Kassawara (Sam-I-Am on IRC) is in
contact with their packagers
RHEL/CentOS/Fedora: Matt has started testing and about 2 weeks ago Steve
Gordon said they're running CI on M-3 based packages for RDO.
OpenSUSE: Not sure of their status for packaging.
Debian: quite outdated even for the previous release

Also refer to Matt's status page at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/InstallationGuideJuno
 with nice groupings per project. As always Networking/neutron needs lots
of testing.

Appreciate you asking -- feel free to ask more questions on the list or on
IRC (freenode) #openstack-doc.