[Openstack-docs] Installation guide updates for Juno

Nicholas Chase nchase at mirantis.com
Wed Sep 10 23:47:47 UTC 2014

On 9/10/2014 2:17 PM, Matt Kassawara wrote:
> Ubuntu recently began offering pre-release Juno packages [1] and I
> successfully built a three-node "core services" environment using
> them. Let's discuss the potential changes...
>
> 1) So far, updating the OpenStack services chapters of the
> installation guide mostly involves some configuration file changes,
> removing old workarounds, and probably adding new workarounds. Should
> we use a bug or a blueprint for these issues? In either case, I
> recommend uploading separate patches for each service.

I think we need separate bugs for each task so that we can have small
patches that can be finished and merged.  That means multiple bugs, so
I'm for blueprints to organize them.  Nothing fancy, just something to
help us keep track.

> 2) Neutron supports distributed virtual routers (DVR) and I'm sure
> people want instructions for deploying them. However, DVR introduces
> more complexity to already difficult networking concepts and requires
> architectural changes to fully configure and demonstrate. At least for
> Juno, I recommend keeping the legacy architecture and adding
> instructions for deploying DVR to the networking or admin guides.

+1

> 3) Open vSwitch adds another level of complexity to already difficult
> networking concepts, particularly with troubleshooting. Linux Bridge
> provides a reliable alternative that reduces complexity, but DVR
> doesn't support it. Should we add instructions for deploying Linux
> Bridge as an alternative to Open vSwitch?

If we leave DVR out of the install the fact that it doesn't support
Linux Bridge doesn't matter, methinks.  That said, I'm for making as few
changes to the install guides as necessary to get us to Juno.

> 4) The neutron external network (ext-net) "magically" works although
> we don't explicitly configure support for flat networks. For sanity,
> we should probably adjust the configuration to support one flat
> network and adjust the initial network instructions to use it as a
> flat provider network.

+1

> 5) I'm seeing more deployments moving from novnc to spice consoles.
> Should we configure spice instead of novnc?

I think it's worth thinking about but I would consider it a lower
priority than just making sure everything works as-is.

> 6) I'm seeing more deployments moving from MySQL to MariaDB. Ubuntu
> 14.04 offers MariaDB 5.5 which more or less clones MySQL 5.5 including
> the configuration files. I suspect RHEL 7, Fedora, and other RPM
> distributions also offer MariaDB packages. Should we change all
> distributions to MariaDB?

+1

----  Nick