[Openstack-docs] 2013.2 tag seems broken ?

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Sep 4 20:49:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Waines, Greg <Greg.Waines at windriver.com>
wrote:

>  Thanks Anne.
>

> But the individual APIs, say Compute API, are not up-versioned every
> OpenStack Release.
>

> However the individual APIs, say Compute API V2, (I believe) are extended
> every OpenStack Release … possibly new requests, possibly new parameters
> for requests, possibly new attributes in responses.

Yes, this is correct, extension only happens in extensions though for v2. I
cannot say v2 itself changes, it does not. Extensions may be added or
removed however. A cloud provider then choses what to put into production
for their customers.

>  So there are going to be IceHouse(say)-specific changes in (say) Compute
> API V2 … correct ?

Yes. Those are mostly tracked with blueprints if you want to know what
actually changed in a given release, such as:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/icehouse

>  But it sounds like there is no tag or commit that represents an
> ‘up-to-Havana only’ version of Compute API V2 … correct ?

Not for the docs. I've been trying to figure out how you could figure it
out from the code itself but not really finding a way even after reading
lots of specs about microversions.

The API docs also are not complete any given release, sad to say. The
mechanism for adding a new extension should include a "DocImpact" flag in
the commit, which then adds a doc bug automatically. I know we try to
quantify and track -- there are 32 bugs outstanding for Compute API for
example:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-api-site/+bugs/?field.tag=nova

If you have ideas for how we can improve, I'd be happy to hear them. We
didn't get traction on a "registry" idea back in 2012. We also haven't seen
much compliance on doc requirements on extensions themselves. It's
certainly a worthwhile pursuit, but mostly the cloud providers are
documenting their own clouds. OpenStack upstream should document the
standard more than the release is my current thinking.
Anne